Thanks Jim & Jamie Dutcher for permission to use photo of Lakota.

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Peak Bagging Junkie & Utah Rocks

It's been a challenge to keep up on the blogging due to EXTREME fun! :) Oh, and work too. But, seriously - it is a challenge due to exploring places.

I suppose I should backtrack a little bit...

Spent a week camping in the Rockies. The best sleep I've had this entire trip! Nothing like waking and lighting my whisperlite stove to make the morning brew while all is silent and still. The first cup is an eye opening experience, inspirational and delicious, as the sun rises above snowy peaks and the moon lingers lazily. I am home. Evenings are equally inviting. Some nights a fire, some nights not, all while listening to the sounds of settling down or stirring. Closing with a chapter or two or three of whatever the current book may be by headlamp while tucked inside my sleeping bag cozy as an Eskimo. Zzzzzzzzzz.
Two awesome hikes in Colorado:

The first was 13 miles, 6 ponds, 2 or 3 waterfalls and 10,900 feet of elevation. The second was only 9 miles but with an elevation gain of 2800 feet over 4.4 miles and 360 degrees of panoramic views at 12,332 feet. Coming from Vermont I was expecting altitude sickness BUT it never happened, thank goodness. Had it once in my life and NEVER want to repeat the experience. I can live without the thundering heartbeats pounding out of my chest from every step taken or from every quarter turn made while rolling over in my sleeping bag. You can keep the headaches and nausea and the general ill feeling from everything swelling – including your brain (in this case, mine). It's wise to trek back down to where your body feels 
right again but stubbornness and fatigue reigned over me – this one time I speak of. Now it comes as no surprise - I was unable to bag a fourteener as planned, wished for, fill in the blank. Not possible without proper gear - ice axe, crampons, ropes, etc. I was informed by the rangers that some of the peaks and trails I desired to climb had regular avalanches and no one, thus far, had been able to make it end-to-end - so, save it for a rainy day - rather, another day and another time whenever time presents a new opportunity. :( I know - it breaks your heart, doesn’t it? :)
Berklee School of Music friend & family – reunited & introduced:

Jacques Aramand! It’s difficult to say his first name without saying his sir name. I had a wonderful visit with my friend Jacques Aramand and his beautiful wife, Lisa, whom I met once 10 years ago for all of 10 minutes. That is how long it's been since we last saw one another. AND, I met for the very first time (although, it feels as if I’ve known her ALL of her life) the lovely, Isabella. I watched Isabella growing up through Lisa's photographs. Lisa is a brilliant photographer. Check out her work – Dog Daze Photo. You know the saying, “the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree?” Well, it doesn’t! Isabella is natural both in front of as well as behind the camera. Also, Jacques (without sir name) is an awesome bass player and both he and Isabella rocked it out – he on the bass and she on the guitar – Led Zeppelin-style. I kid you not, her fingers moved fast. Oh! Did I mention Isabella is eight?
Movin’ on down the line: 

Utah bound – singing out loud to tunes on the XM - dancin’ and boppin’ and groovin’ and stompin’ and a little toe tappin’ too. Much of which was caught on videotape (Eeks!). The landscape changed as dramatically as a heartbroken Romeo. Did I say eek? I meant to say, geek! ☺ But it was AWESOME!!!
Moab madness: 

LOVE MUFFIN – I miss you! They make the best breakfast burritos and while we (Bridget and I) managed to have breakfast the morning we arrived, they closed the same day – for the next month. Drats!

HOT! HOT! HOT!!! We opted to stay in cabins in Moab in order to maintain regulated body temperature and our sanity - although I never wavered from my morning coffee ritual and cooking outdoors on the whisperlite at night.

Cindy took myself, Bridget and Alex (one of our boss') to look at petroglyphs and pictographs throughout parts of Moab. You can view some of the pics. Alex and I scrambled up rocks to take closeup pictures. Thanks for lending a hand when needed.

Arches National Park has phenomenal, picturesque sunsets! I took a drive and a sunset hike. The desert does bring out ones desire to journey on a vision quest. Driving back to Moab – sunroof open, windows down, Pink Floyd cranking - Whoa! There’s a deer standing next to the car door suddenly.

Took a drive to La Salle for a hike. Something was off. I couldn’t hike a mile. Not sure what or why. I decided to drive the La Salle loop and Route 128 along the Colorado River instead. A storm of strong winds whipped up and I looked out to see a ducky (a small boat) flipping downriver with no one in it. I pulled over and tried to open the car door but found I couldn’t [open the door]. The wind was THAT strong! When I could get out I was almost knocked down. All of the rafters WERE fine - lots of guides out there paddling for safety. Arrived back at the cabin to find a large tree DOWN in our parking space and next to our cabin. Had I NOT been out and about, the car would have been crushed. Poor tree. ☹ There were several others down in places too.

My favorite place to cool off in the desert was North Creek. I found it by chance and the locals were surprised I learned of it. It’s a short hike to a few swimming holes. I trekked on until I came to one with no one around – swam for a while, climbed the rocks, sat on one in particular in the middle of the river. I tried to find this place a few days earlier but was unsuccessful. There are several river crossings to get there and it’s easy to miss the first important turn.
Virgin: 

Virgin, Utah! HOTTER than HOT! And, I know nothing about the virgins here but blessed be the virgins. Zion National Park known and named by the Mormons. Look it up! Opted for cabins again.

Went on a strenuous hike to Angels Landing and then looped around the different Emerald Pools. The SUN is what made it strenuous. I started at noon (I know, I should’ve started in the AM) and was exposed to the heat and rays most of the way. It was worth it although I didn’t find it scary as described – steep, strenuous, cliffs and drop offs, not for those wary of heights, the last ½ mile scramble has chains due to the narrow steep climb.

Last night I found another local swimming hole. Loads of fun! Kate and Abe and I trudged through the river. I think I must have LOVED slides as a kid because I repeatedly body surfed down the river, got out, ran back up and did it again - over and over and over and over about ten times. It was a BLAST! I did hit a rock twice – one downriver, one while swimming upriver. Minor. Today, I picked up a tube and I have every intention of abusing it! ☺ Did I mention my fear of water? Gotta kick it!

I MAY do the Narrows on Sunday. It’s 16 miles of hiking in the river but you MUST have a permit and arrange for a shuttle to the trailhead. This is proving to be a bit challenging due to time restraints and fees. 

No comments:

Post a Comment