Thanks Jim & Jamie Dutcher for permission to use photo of Lakota.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Pay It Forward Carl Sgro Style

True story. As a kid, my grandfather had a boat. He would take us (us being my entire family - brother, sister, mother, father, cousins, aunt, uncle, grandmother, and the dog) out on his boat to enjoy a day of fishing. His mastery and command of his vessel led me to believe he was the founder of the ocean and all things hidden beneath its surface.

On one particular day, as my papa doled out the fishing poles to us kids, he turned to me and stated he had “run out” [of fishing poles]. The look of disappointment on my face must have registered and Papa said, "All that's left are shark poles. You can use one of them instead." Now, I'm not sure which was more obvious, my disappointment or the sudden onslaught of fear I attempted to hide as I feigned enthusiasm. What would happen if I caught a shark? Surely, I'd be pulled overboard and eaten alive. All I wanted was to catch a sunfish, but, now I'd have to reel in a shark? Well, at the end of the day I caught nothing. Zero. Nada. I was greatly relieved although, I claimed to be upset by the fact I hadn’t caught a shark. My papa put his arm around my shoulder, winked and said, "Maybe next time."

This image of a grandfather taking his grandchildren fishing is nothing out of the ordinary. But, a man by the name of Carl Sgro has taken something ordinary and made it into something extraordinary. Carl Sgro, a tournament-quality bass fisherman who studies fish habits and behavior, who has fished in inlets and lakes from Maine to Florida, has founded a wonderful program in his local community, “Take A Kid Fishing.” Perhaps this is the result of not only his enthusiasm and appreciation for the sport but, a childhood memory of fishing with someone special. Perhaps this memory was so profound, the desire to give a similar experience to kids today sparked its growth? Regardless of where the motive stemmed, similar programs have popped up all over the world. While I cannot make the claim Carl Sgro made this happen, I imagine him to be somewhat influential. Is there an experience from your childhood you can pass on to your children or community? If so, pay it forward… Carl Sgro-style!

Copyright © 2009 Alyssa Polacsek & Latté News

No comments:

Post a Comment